The Obama Justice Department has struck down South Carolina’s voter ID law and is looking at the possibility of invalidating new voter ID laws in Texas and Florida as well, arguing that the requirement to show ID would be an unfair burden on some.
Lets take a look at all the other ways in which ID requirements place unfair burdens upon us, shall we?
- You need an ID to adopt a pet.
- You need an ID to apply for a loan.
- You need an ID to apply for food stamps.
- You need an ID to apply for public housing.
- You need an ID to apply for welfare.
- You need an ID to be admitted to a hospital.
- You need an ID to buy alcohol.
- You need an ID to buy cigarettes.
- You need an ID to buy drain cleaner.
- You need an ID to cash a check.
- You need an ID to close on a house.
- You need an ID to drive.
- You need an ID to get a hotel room.
- You need an ID to get a marriage license.
- You need an ID to get a P.O. box.
- You need an ID to get insurance.
- You need an ID to make any large credit card purchase.
- You need an ID to open a bank account.
- You need an ID to purchase a firearm.
- You need an ID to rent an apartment.
- You need an ID to write a check.
Have you ever heard anyone anywhere argue about the unfair burden of having to show photo ID to apply for food stamps? Food stamp recipients have risen from 32 million to 43 million since Obama took office. The ID requirement certainly hasn’t done anything to slow the rising ranks over the past three years.
Where’s the outrage over the fact that you need ID to apply for public housing? If people are willing to argue that voter ID prevents some people from voting, shouldn’t they also take up the argument that the ID requirement for public housing makes some people homeless?
All this outrage over the unfair burden of voter ID is ridiculous. I’ll only take that argument seriously when the same people also organize to remove the ID requirement for food stamps and welfare.
Next time you hear people talking about voter ID being about voter suppression, agree with them, because voter ID is about voter suppression, it’s about protecting law-abiding citizens from having their votes suppressed by fraudulent votes of dead people, illegals and ACORN activists.